Winter Superhero : Sweet potato
If we ever make a graph of food taste vs their nutrient content, Sweet potatoes will definitely top the chart. Moreover, a study by the University of Washington identified sweet potatoes as the highest food score per dollar.
I consider Sweet Potato as a superhero of vegetables because it’s super delicious, nutrient-dense and so versatile that it can be incorporated in many dishes from snacks, main course to desserts.
Did you know sweet potatoes not only have many health benefits but also aids in weight loss!!
One cup of baked sweet potato provides nearly half of your daily vitamin C needs. It also provides 400% of your recommended daily intake of vitamin A. Both these vitamins are critical for your immunity and your eye health. They are also a great source of Potassium, high in antioxidants and also full of good dietary fiber.
The list of benefits are endless but here are some of the noteworthy superpowers of our superhero:
- Stabilizes Blood Sugar: They have a relatively low glycemic index which aids in controlling the blood sugar levels. They also contain essential fibers and magnesium that are critical in the prevention and management of diabetes.
- Anti-inflammatory: Sweet potatoes contain a significant amount of vitamins, most of which have powerful anti-inflammatory properties. They also contain choline, which helps in reducing inflammation in the body.
- Helps Prevent Cancer: Sweet potato contains Beta-carotene, which was found to have a reduced risk of cancer, particularly of the lung, colon, and stomach. Moreover, a special protein was discovered in sweet potatoes in 1931 that is a protease inhibitor with potential anti-cancer benefits.
- Improves Immunity: Sweet potato is very high in Vitamin C, which is one of the key nutrients in maintaining your body’s immunity so they should definitely be on your plate during cold winter months.
- Improves Vision: 1 cup of baked sweet potato provides 400% of Vitamin A, which is one of the key nutrients for your eye health.
- Helps in Weight Loss: If you are trying to get rid of a few extra pounds, add this super yummy vegetable into your diet. Since sweet potatoes are nutrient-dense and full of fiber, they can reduce hunger pranks and cravings and keep you full for a long period of time.
- Regulates Blood Pressure: Sweet potatoes contain considerable amounts of magnesium and potassium, which are essential in regulating blood pressure.
- Boosts Fertility: They are a great source of fiber and vitamin C, B, and vitamin B6. These antioxidants protect against cell damage so they’re great for protecting your eggs and improving egg health.
There are plenty of ways to enjoy this delicious root vegetable like baking, roasting, sautéing or boiling. Sweet potato fries are gaining popularity as well.
Here is one of my favorite Sweet Potato recipes – it is simple to cook, super delicious and full of good benefits of sweet potatoes and sesame seeds, which makes it ideal to eat during the winter months.
Sweet Potato – Sesame chat
- 2 small Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 4-5 curry leaves
- ½ tbsp coconut oil or ghee
- ½ tsp tamarind paste or 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp crushed ginger
- 1 tsp crushed peanuts
- Boil the sweet potatoes
- Cut it in medium size pieces (skin can be kept on – if Organic)
- Heat oil in the pan
- Add the sesame seeds
- When seeds change color, add the curry leaves
- Add the sweet potatoes
- Add salt, turmeric, black pepper, and cayenne pepper
- Add crushed ginger
- Let it cook for a couple of minutes
- Add the tamarind paste or lemon juice
- Top it with crushed peanuts
- Ready to serve
I hope you all enjoy it as much as I do. Also, share what are some of your favorite recipes of this superfood!