Bewitching Black Bean Brownies
Who does not like warm fudgy Brownies! I am a big brownie fan and so are my kids. The problem is store bought brownies or brownie mixes have many controversial ingredients that I have banned from my “acceptable” list. Here comes a savior. These brownies are not only super delicious but super healthy too. Moreover, they have the right balance of protein, fat, and fibers that they can also be served as a breakfast food. Your kids are going to thank you for that!!
The special ingredient in this recipe is black beans. Most of you must be thinking how the black bean would taste in a sweet dish but trust me you cannot even taste them in there. Serve it to your friends and family first before revealing this secret ingredient. I am sure they could never guess what is in there. Also, the sweetness in these brownies is coming from natural sources like dates, maple syrup, and bananas so there is no need to add additional sugar. You might get a hint of banana flavor but that really goes well with these gooey chocolatey brownies.
Try it and enjoy!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Serves – 9 pieces
- 1 15-oz Black bean can, drained and rinsed very well
- 12 Dates soaked in hot water for 10 minutes (Discard the water before using)
- 1 large ripe Banana (or 2 small)
- ½ cup Apple sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup instant oats
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp walnuts (Optional)
- ½ cup chocolate chips (more for topping) – Not optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 F
- Drain, rinse and wash the beans well.
- Add all the wet ingredients in a food processor and blend until you get a smooth paste
- Add the dry ingredients and blend really well
- Fold in the chocolate chips
- Pour the batter into a baking dish and smooth the top. Sprinkle walnuts and additional chocolate tips on top.
- Bake brownies for 20 to 25 minutes or until the top starts to dry out and crack a bit and the edges start to pull away from the sides.
Let it cool at least 10 minutes before trying to cut. If you feel that they are still undercooked, let it stay in the fridge for few hours and they will turn into a perfect consistency!
Serve warm or cold!