The Magic Elixir: Bone Broth
Bone broth has been part of various ancient cultures for more than thousand years. Recently, it has started to gain the trendy status of a superfood because studies have shown its numerous and extensive health benefits.
What is Bone broth: Bone broth is a simple drink made by slowly simmering animal bones with herbs, vegetables, and spices for more than 10 hours .
Why is it so good for you: Bones and connective tissues are packed with essential amino acids, protein, collagen, gelatin . It is also rich in calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, silicon, sulphur and trace minerals, which we usually lack in our diets today.
Here are the top health benefits of bone broth:
1. Heals your gut : The collagen found in bone broth helps to improve and maintain healthy digestion by ensuring that the stomach lining is healthy. It contains collagen, which nourishes the intestinal lining and reduces inflammation. Plus, it’s easy to digest and is loaded with beneficial protein and minerals.
2. Improves immunity: Amino acids and minerals in bone broth have been shown to boost immunity in humans in various studies.
3. Cleans out toxins: The amino acids in the bone broth aid your liver in removing toxins from your body. In addition, glycine is a building block of glutathione, one of the body’s most powerful detoxifying agents.
4. Good for skin and hair: Bone broth is loaded with the building blocks of collagen, the protein that is required to make your skin strong and smooth.
5. Good for joint health: When the broth simmers, it pulls gelatin out of the bones. As we get older, our joints become less flexible. When you drink the broth, your body absorbs all of that gelatin. It strengthens your bones and promotes joint health by providing a cushion-like coating for your joints.
How to make Chicken bone broth at home:
- 1 pound of chicken bones ( I used it from the leftover organic chicken drumsticks)
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 handful of cilantro leaves (with stems)
- 1.5 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 cups water
- Add all ingredients in a slow cooker
- Let it cook for 20-24 hours
- Strain and use
What if you are vegetarian: If you follow a vegan or vegetarian diet, you can still make this by using different vegetables like zucchini, mushroom, turnip, beetroot and eliminating the bones part. By making this without bones, you won’t be getting the collagen and gelatin but you will still be getting high doses of minerals that leads to bone and connective tissue healing and also carry similar anti-inflammatory properties.