If you are a busy mom, like me, you understand how difficult it is to find healthy, nutritious snack that meets the growing needs of the kids and also makes their taste buds happy!!
It’s a constant struggle for me, especially because I have two almost teenager (one is a preteen) boys enrolled in competitive sports! I am constantly looking for and trying new recipes. Well, some get approved, some gets modified and transformed, and some find home in my tummy when rejected by all!
Last week I found a winner when a coworker shared a recipe for a healthy, simple, portable snack. I made some slight modifications and it was a huge hit! These cute little balls are so simple to make, full of protein, healthy fats and super delicious. Win-Win!!
What I loved about this recipe is that it is so easy to customize based on your kid’s preference or allergy constraints, without compromising the taste.
Here is the recipe for these wonder balls:
Prep time: 15 Minutes
Cook time: 0 Minutes
Total Time: 15 Minutes
Output: 10 balls
- 8 pitted dates
- ½ cup Walnuts
- ½ cup Almonds
- ½ cup Raisins
- ½ cup Flax seeds/instant oatmeal
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 2 tbs whey protein powder – Vanilla
- ½ cup Peanut Butter
- 1 tbs Honey – Adjust according to taste
- Place the dates in the blender first to get a gooey paste
- Add all the remaining ingredients (except last 2) and blend till it is all powdered
- Add peanut butter and honey and blend it all together
- Make small balls and Enjoy!
Here are some other healthy additions/substitutions you can make without compromising the taste
- Chocolate chips
- Chia Seeds
- Cranberries instead of raisins
- Almond Butter or any Nut Butter instead of Peanut Butter
- Coconut powder
- Maple Syrup instead of honey
I am sure your kids will like the balls as much as it’s liked by mine. Try it and let me know.