You might be super careful about what food you put in your mouth but have you ever thought about the ingredients in your toothpaste? Commercial kinds of toothpaste are loaded with ingredients you wouldn’t think of putting in your mouth ever.
Your mouth is highly absorbent so even if you are not ingesting your toothpaste, the chemicals in your toothpaste still get absorbed in your bloodstream.
Here are some of the most common harmful ingredients found in commercial toothpaste. : Triclosan, Titanium dioxide, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS), Artificial Sweeteners, Diethanolamine (DEA) and Flouride.
All of these chemicals have been linked to various health problems like hormone disruptions, gastrointestinal disturbances, behavioral disturbances, and even cancer.
The good news is it is really simple and cheap to make toothpaste at home with only FOUR ingredients.
- 4 tablespoons raw virgin coconut oil
- 2–4 tablespoons baking soda
- Few drops of essential oils (I have used cinnamon clove and peppermint – both works)
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- small glass jar
- Place coconut oil container in a bowl of hot water to liquefy it
- Measure all ingredients into a bowl and stir until completely blended.
- Store the finished product in a lidded glass jar.
How does this toothpaste work?
Coconut oil is antibacterial, so it reduces inflammation and fights bad bacteria in the mouth
Baking soda discourages the formation of plaque and helps to prevent gum disease. It has also been found to effectively remove surface stains on teeth
Turmeric is anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial and contains antioxidants. It helps in treating gum disease.
Use this toothpaste in place of your regular toothpaste to experience whiter, cleaner, healthier teeth and gums!!